Why are the health services so important?
Health services is a public service which provides medical care such as medicine, medical or surgical treatment, dental service, optical service, nursing, and hospital services etc. to the public. Health services contains medical professionals, organizations, and other assistant health care workers who provide medical care to those in need. Health services provides services like emergency, preventative, rehabilitative, long-term, hospital, diagnostic, palliative, and home care etc. to the patients, families, communities, and populations. These health services are centered around making health care accessible, high quality, and patient-centered (the center which mainly focus on the individual who are seeking health care). Why is the saying “Health is wealth” so important?
Health services is more important to promote and maintain someone’s health, prevent and manage diseases, and it is also important to reduce the rate of premature death as well as to reduce the unnecessary disabilities. Many different types of healthcare and health services providers are essential in order to offer successful health services.
What are types of health services?
There are more health services that are dedicated to certain illnesses or issues. These health services provided by the health services departments include:
• Mental health care.
• Pharmaceutical care.
• Dental care.
• Prenatal care.
• Laboratory and diagnostic care.
• Preventative care.
• Substance abuse treatment.
• Physical and occupational therapy.
• Nutritional support.
What are types of health care centers?
There are three main healthcare centers which provide us health services as the following:
1. Primary care services – It is a day-to-day healthcare services given by the medical professionals, or health care provider. Primary healthcare is the first contact with the health care provider when they have a health problem. Primary healthcare services play an important role in advising and helping you to prevent illnesses and maintain good health. A primary healthcare service may diagnose and treat common health conditions within their area of expertise. They can also assess the urgency of your medical problems and direct you to the best place for that care. They may also be able to provide referrals to other medical specialists if required. There are telephone helplines 24 hours. These services can be used if you need to see medical professionals. You can take valuable medical advice during those hours when other healthcare services are close.
Primary healthcare services provide the following services:
• Diagnosis, treatment and care of people with health problems.
• Promoting good health.
• Preventing health problems.
• Early intervention.
• Managing ongoing and long-term conditions.
2. Outpatient care services – It is a kind of medical care, or treatment, or medical procedures, or tests that can be done at the medical center, or at the hospital without an overnight stay. To know the exact meaning of outpatient care services, it is essential to know the meaning of inpatient care services. Inpatient care means you are admitted to the hospital on a doctor’s order. If you are classified as an inpatient as soon as you are formally admitted. It may be administered in a medical office or a hospital, typically outpatient care is provided in a medical office or outpatient surgery center.
There is a particular section of outpatient department (OPD) in the hospital, where patients are provided medical consultations and other allied services. Outpatient department consists of:
• Consultation chambers – where medical, surgical, or allied consultation and important opinion of medical expertise are provided to the patients.
• Examination rooms – where patients are examined.
• Diagnostics – which have radiology, pathology, microbiology and other diagnostic services and /or sample collection points.
• Pharmacy – which provides medicine, prescribed by the doctor to the patients.
Outpatient care services include:
• Preventative services – Counselling and weight-loss programs etc.
• Diagnostic services – Laboratory tests, x-rays, MRI etc.
• Treatments – Chemotherapy, some surgeries etc.
• Rehabilitation treatment – Physical therapy etc.
3. Emergency care services – It is a kind of medical treatment facility specializing in emergency medicine, the intense care to patients who present without prior appointment either by their own means or by an ambulance. It is usually found in a hospital or in other primary care center. Due to the unplanned nature of patient attendance, the emergency care services must provide initial treatment for different kinds of illnesses and injuries, some of them may be life-threatening and it may require immediate attention. The emergency care services must be operated 24 hours a day.
Who are the health services providers?
Healthcare services requirement doesn’t fulfill only by the doctor. It requires more than just a doctor. No matter what kind of health issue do you have, you require at least two people on your healthcare team. Patient’s main focus will be only on doctor, when patient go to the healthcare center. They hardly think about others such as nurse, administrative people, and technician. These are the health services providers, whom we must not ignore:
• Doctors – A physician, medical practitioner, or a medical doctor is a professional who practices medicine, which is related with diagnosis (identification), prognosis (prediction), and treatment of diseases, injuries and other physical and mental disabilities through study.
• Nurses – A trained person or the health professionals who look after the sick or weak people, especially in a hospital, and nursing is a profession within the health care sector focused on the care of individuals, families, and communities so they may acquire, maintain, or recover good health and quality of life.
• Pharmacists – Pharmacists are also health professionals who practices in pharmacy, whereas the pharmacy is the field of health sciences focusing on safe and effective uses of medicine.
• Administrative staff – There are many people who contribute to your care while you stay at the hospital. Many people and services work together to facilitate you with successful treatment from medical examinations, diagnosis, daily treatment, to medication and catering in the hospital. The administrative staff include doctors, nurses, allied health professionals such as dieticians, occupational therapists, pharmacists, physiotherapists etc., support staff such as clinical assistants, porters, patient services assistants, ward clerks, laundry staff, caterer, cleaner etc.
• Technologists and technician – Hospital technician work in the laboratory of any hospital and assist doctors in diagnosing, testing and treating illnesses as well as diseases in patients. They analyze through testing and provide technical data to doctors for patients who has medical problems. A technologist has a greater role than a technician and he or she works under the supervision of a technologist.
• Therapists – A person skilled in a particular kind of therapy (treatment to relieve or heal a disorder) is called therapist.
There are many types of therapy these are as the following:
I. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
II. Dialectical Behavioral Therapy.
III. Mindfulness-based Therapy.
IV. Group Therapy.
V. Psychodynamic Therapy.
VI. Family Therapy.
VII. Interpersonal Therapy.
VIII. Emotion-Focused Therapy.